Re: [ARSCLIST] LP pressing question

Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Shoshani" <mshoshani@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Tom Fine wrote:
When the QC listening was done, it was done with a stop-watch so that times could be known for problem, which were noted.
That's interesting - I read somewhere that records did not carry time information until after tape was introduced, which led me to conclude that the time was calculated by measuring the tape footage and dividing it by the speed, rather than having some poor schlub sit there all day with a stopwatch.

I suspect that the real reason for time information appearing on record
labels was the fact that records were being used on radio "disc jockey"
programs to an increasing extent...and the "deejay" needs to know in
advance how long a disc will play in order to allow properly-timed
"station breaks" and even program duration. IIRC, the "promo copies"
usually provided this info before the emergence of tape mastering...

Steven C. Barr
(Who has done...and still does...deejay-based radio programs, and who
finds it much easier now that CD players provide data like "time
remaining...")

Timings actually appeared on record labels as early as the 1920s, on World Constant Velocity discs. And they certainly appeared on some transcription discs (or on the cue sheets sent with same).

dl (who still uses a stopwatch and who can still accurately add an entire sequence of timings with 100% accuracy)