Re: [ARSCLIST] Recorded blues--was: Is The Record Shop Dead?

Yep. After MTV and those awful videos for Eliminator, it was down hill fast. Of course, Eliminator sold like hotcakes. When that happens, it dooms a band to retry that formula again (and again-----and again...................................and again..............).
"I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide" is one of my favorite driving tunes.

Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hey, call me low-brow, but early ZZ Top definitely does it for me. Bob Ludwig
remastered new CD's of
"Tres Hombres" and "Fandango" in the last couple of years and I think they're
great. Album notes are
by a guy who claims to be ZZ Top's "archivist." Bonus material is from I think
King Biscuit Flower
Hour radio shows, really badly recorded.

Speaking as a bluesman-wannabe myself...the first three (IIRC) ZZ Top LP's
were outstanding permormances of blues music! From that point onward, they
gradually became a "guitar-based rock band"...with only occasional flashes
of their early blues brilliance!

Case in point...look up (listen up?!) their recording titled "Blue Jean
Blues!" The lyrics would seem to verge on parody...but the guitar work
is excellent!