Re: [ARSCLIST] Is The Record Shop Dead?

Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "phillip holmes" <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx>
I didn't say I don't have several ZZ Top albums myself and the George Jones Box Set. Just talking about truck stops. You ain't lived till you had a truck stop chicken fried steak at 3 AM and bought a greatest hits collection at the counter.

I have the ZZ Top discs (or did...LONG story...!); however, I can speak
with some authority on "truck stops!" I went to high school in McLean,
Ill's., site of the (evidently) no-longer-extant Dixie Truckers' Home
from the twenties onward! "The Dixie" was our regular hangout as teens
(and onward...). The original "Dixie" burnt down...IIRC in the sixties...
and was replaced by a larger, newer "Dixie" withing a couple of months.
In fact, my first wife was a waitress as the joint...and I regularly
picked her up at the end of her shift and gave her a ride to her house
(out on a farm...) so I spent many, many hours in that truck stop!

I also used to stop at truck stops when travelling...the food was always
more than ample, affordable and usually quite edible!

And, yes, most of them sold cassettes (and 8-tracks back in that era...),
the legality of whose origins were probably dubious at best. Wonder how/why
RIAA missed that...?!

Steven C. Barr

I'm relating something I heard third-hand but I recall being told that those illegal 8-tracks and cassettes were made in a state with looser copyright laws than some (Tennessee?) and that the company in question held payment in escrow for the artists. If they'd ever collected said royalties, that would have legitamized their issue. As I say, I have no idea if any of this makes sense or if it's true.

dl