Re: [ARSCLIST] Is The Record Shop Dead?

----- Original Message -----
From: "phillip holmes" <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Oh yes.  I've been there.  But it's not even a shadow of Collectors.   A
> pale imitation of a ghost of a shadow.   But they do try, and effort
> counts for something.  They really can't stock much in a store that
> small.  I still find decent things at Half-Priced books on occasion, but
> find the best stuff at estate sales.
<Long post mostly snipped>

Well...the younger that kids/record buyers are, the more inclined they
are to "follow the herd!" Combine that with their other fascination...
strong and easily identifiable rhythms...and you get "Urban Dance"
(which may, in fact, have a further advantage...just as jazz in the
teens and twenties...that being the fact it is mostly the work of
Black people, of whom the parents of the fans probably DON'T approve...?!)

The classical fans among us actually have more hope...many of to-days'
childs were forced to take music lessons, and as a result will have a
dim recall of that sort of music, which will increase as they grow older
and (one hopes) less "crowd-influenced...!!" OTOH...consider that to an
XXI-Jahrhundert child, a "really old recording" is one by Led Zeppelin
(which, after all, is approaching forty "years of age...?!).

I suspect that were I counting the number of modern young people who
had been exposed to ANY music of the "78 era" I could use all my fingers
still visible after I had made fists of both hands...?!