Re: [ARSCLIST] OK - Does Anyone Know More About This?

At 12:11 AM 2007-06-15, Tom Fine wrote:
I should have been more specific about my last statement. No commercial-release music that I know of was recorded on 3-track until 1955. I had heard rumor about the LA amateur recordist and also Bill Cara I think made some 3-track recordings of live music as early as 1953 or 1954, but his were also amateur recordings (Richard Hess will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Bill Cara's rig was ultra-rare 3-track quarter-inch).

This is essentially correct, but Cara was a professional and I believe Jack Mullin was present for the recording at the Glendale Train Station for the Coast Starlight in 1953??. I have been told that this recording was played for Michael Todd and was one of many influences that caused him to choose to record multi-track for "Around the World in 80 Days".

Yes the Coast Starlight was a 3-track 1/4-inch recording, predating the 3-track 1/2-inch recordings done later.

Also, the Revere/CBS tape cartridge format was designed to accommodate a future third channel, but, to the best of my knowledge, all machines and cartridges that were made (at least commercially) only used the two outer tracks for stereo, leaving a super-wide (relatively speaking) guard band.

Then we start getting into cartridges, Muntz 4-track and then Lear 8-track, etc.

Of course, in the 1970s, the Lear 8-track was issued commercially in discrete quad as were 1/4-inch reel-to-reel tapes.

Cheers,

Richard