Re: [ARSCLIST] OK - Does Anyone Know More About This?

Tom,

Thanks for this very helpful answer. That basically answers my question,
although in this case:

I'm not sure how much tape Bert ran that day but one would think that if a
tape of the piece you cite existed it would have been issued on that CD.

There may be hope. "Tabor" is tagged on to the end of a disc that otherwise
consists of a Stokowski concert in stereo from Detroit, 11/20/1952,
consisting of Jacob Avshalomov's The Taking of T'ung Kuan with the
Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 5. It was included, in part, as the recording was
at one time mis-marked as being by Stokowski, but was matched to the Kubelik
performance through comparison. Certainly if there are other bits and pieces
of Ma vlast in stereo, they would not have fit on the 65 minute CD.

Not that I would throw away my Mercury of "From Bohemia's Woods and Fields;"
it's still great. But it would be interesting to hear Whyte's recording if
anything survives of it.

David N. Lewis
Assistant Classical Editor, All Music Guide

"To collect [folksongs] without a phonograph - until there's something
better - is mad and criminal." - Percy Grainger, 1907