Re: [ARSCLIST] MP3

Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Reminds me of the time I was chatting with the music librarian at CFTR and we
both heard a high-pitched whine (very high!) coming from down the hall, which
we traced to the engineers' office. They were amazed that we could both hear
that whistle because THEY couldn't hear it. For the rest of the day they were
taunting the librarian with "Connie rolls off at 19k!"

Engineering humor.

Shortly after I became a "cable guy," the first cordless converters became
available. They used "ultrasound"...and at that time I could still hear
the notes produced by most of the buttons on the remotes!

As well, one of the strangest service calls I did was from a woman whose
complaint was, "Every time I try to select CITY (cable 17)...my cat bites me!

No idea why said feline objected to the particular frequency...which it
could, of course, hear perfectly...

...stevenc

Or the cat had good taste. Kidding aside, I'm still amazed when a broadcaster puts out a signal with audible flaws and does nothing about it. CFTR (680 News in Toronto) has a HUM, clearly audible on my car system (no other AM or FM station has this problem that I've heard) and Global TV has a constant high-pitched whistle on my digital cable. Of course for years Global also ran every program with the audio channels reversed, something you'd notice only when Homer Simpson drove off to the left and the audio was on the right.

dl