Re: [ARSCLIST] MP3

On 14/06/07, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:

> The harsh reality is this: most folks who visit such comparisons
> "arrive at the front door" with their own firm (and prejudiced)
> convictions...and are thus looking for anything that suppoprts their
> already-decided assumptions!
>
> The other harsh reality (which I know all too well) is that most of
> the parties debating these details are at least into middle age, if
> not past...and as such have lost a significant part of the hearing
> they once had!
>
> We might make it a requirement that anyone intending to pass judgment
> on audio formats be required to submit a current audiogram of their
> hearing capabilities/limitations...

On the other hand, those who are young enough to have perfect hearing
don't have the experience of listening to both live instruments and a
variety of recordings, so they don't know what to listen for. Most
students, for instance, have never heard a high quality audio system.

(And nowadays probably only the under fives have undamaged hearing.)

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx