Re: [ARSCLIST] Can anyone...help the CBC with info on Melotone?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Terry Smythe" <smythe@xxxxxxx>
> On 12 Jun 2007 at 22:39, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
> > Does the Winnipeg Public Library system own a substantial
> > collection of local city directories? If so, that would be a
> > good place to start...
> The CBC Toronto folks have available to them the same directory
> references as the City of Winnipeg Public Library.    They've
> done their homework about the same as we can do here in
> Winnipeg.     What we need now are a couple of local historians
> knowledgeable about this industry.    Hopefully, omong Paul
> Horch's collector contacts, such a person might emerge.
> Classic needle in a haystack.

No...the CBC is, sadly enough, probably blissfully unaware of any
print archives in the Winnipeg Public Library System (I doubt, in
fact, if they access the city-directory archives held in the
Toronto Reference Library!

IF Winnipeg city directories still exist from the 1912-1916 period,
the "Melotone Talking Machine Company" (assuming it existed) should
be listed and an address provided.

However, I have NO idea (1) when Winnipeg first was provided with
city directories, and (2) to what extent earlier examples are still
extant...!