Re: [ARSCLIST] One business model for out of print recordings -- let's hope i...

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Ross" <johnross@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> I had a chance to discuss the question of obtaining out-of-print
> material with a friend who is developing contracts with record labels
> for the Microsoft Zune music download service (the Microsoft
> competitor to Apple's iTunes). He told me that the labels generally
> don't want to make their old stuff available, because of the cost of
> remastering analog masters for digital distribution. The overall cost
> of making them available is greater than the potential return on most
> out-of-print items.
>
> So it would make sense that the Archiv service is using existing CD
> masters rather than producing material especially for this new
> distribution channel.

Note that any collector who had/has recordings made before 1/1/1957
can, in most jurisdictions, freely reissue same as long as the
necessary arrangements are made for payment of applicable publisher
royalties!

Is "Archiv" reissuing this sort of public-domain (outside the US Of A)
material...or are they reissuing later recordings (which suggests either
that they are paying for the rights to do so, or else operating outside
the law...!).