Re: [ARSCLIST] One business model for out of print recordings -- let's hope i...

  I hope this comes through coherently. I still have difficulties posting
things to ARSC, so please be charitable everyone if this is a mess.

  I want to comment about Tom Fine's mention that Arkivmusic's reissues of
Everest recordings have been remastered. I very recently bought three of them
(all Stokowski). Each is almost painfully shrill. I had to turn the treble on my
pre-amp all the way down, and even with that I could get only a hint of the
genuine Stokowski sound (I heard it live) or a semblance of the rich violin
tone I get from early pressings of the Everest LPs. I don't think this will do.

  The Arkiv. reissues don't say they had been remastered; there are no
program notes except a bare insert. Yes, this is a good reissue program. But they
must do a better job than what I've spent my money on here. I'll buy no more.

  Don Tait

 See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.