Re: [ARSCLIST] Media mail

Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Canada Customs once opened a package of 78s sent to me to transfer and decided
that they were worth ten times the declared value. I had no choice but to pay
the duty, since I wasn't about to send them back and forth and risk their
being
smashed. Another time, a box of CDs from the French label Dante was opened,
the
discs removed and a half-full bottle of Vitamin C Cream put in its place. And
of course I had customs charges to pay (these idiots would never place nominal
values on their promo discs, and any that I refused I just never saw again).
Think I could get a refund out of Revenue Canada? Ha!

Promotional CD's (and CD-R's) should be clearly marked as "Promotional
Material,"
which is duty and tax-free! Ask the senders to do so...!

...stevenc

They often do..that's when I get charged even more. Add that to the fact that such shipments often go by UPS, who don't know from such things and deliver the packages with duty owing plus THEIR administrative charges (even when prepaid at the source..don't get me started on the imbeciles who staff UPS in this country).

dl