Re: [ARSCLIST] Dictabelt transfers

--- Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wouldn't it be easier to do pitch-correction digitally once the
> transfer is done?

Last time I transferred any Dictabelts was about four years
ago, and I didn't have a PC handy with the horsepower to do
even this.  Nowadays software makes sense.

Another "D'oh!" moment...

> Christie, another worthwhile contact would be the LBJ Library in
> Texas. I think they supervised or
> did all the transfers that ended up in the two Michael Beschloss
> audiobooks of the LBJ "tapes", most
> of which are Dictabelts.

One thing you can hear very plainly on the LBJ recordings is that
the belts have at one point been pressed flat.  The sound of a
crease going by is quite distinct.  You can smooth a belt out
quite a bit by just letting it run around and around on the
machine for an hour or so before transferring it.  Of course,
if you have a lot to do, that becomes problematic.

David Breneman         david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx

Never miss an email again!