Re: [ARSCLIST] ^ What is a Milk Box ? (was Moving Sound Recording Collections)

Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
D P Ingram wrote:
On 26 maj 2007, at 04.47, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
that exact same order! I moved about 300 milk boxes full of 78's...
For the benefit of those who are not Canadian, what is a "milk box". Is
it a box used to store milk bottles (?). And how big are them?  We have
milk cartons but you'd not get a 78 rpm record in it, well you might,
but you first have to send it via U.S.P.S. in a plain envelope (or the
postal service of your choice) in a plain envelope sans packaging marked
fragile.
Actually "milk crates", made of sturdy plastic and used by the milk company to
ship large (what used to be gallon) jugs of milk to the grocer. Each one holds
4 of the large jugs. Until some time in the 70s these crates were large enough
to hold 12" albums with ease, but the dairy industry conspired once it knew
what record collectors were doing with their cases (stealing them from behind
Macs Milk Stores) and foisted "metric" on us, so those crates shrank by about
half inch. And no, they don't have photos of missing record collectors on the
sides.

Or, Gott sei dank, missing milk boxes...

Steven C. Barr
(who still awaits a visit from the "Greater Toronto Milk Box Police"...)

One morning I was driving in to do my weekend shift on CHFI when I espied a mountain of milk crates outside my friendly neighbourhood Mac's Milk Store. This was about 5:30 AM..and as I pulled onto the lot, larceny on my mind, I noticed a police car approaching and decided I'd do without, rather than have to explain via legal representation why there was dead air all morning..

dl