Re: [ARSCLIST] Cedar

----- Original Message -----
From: "D P Ingram" <darren@xxxxxxxxx>
> I am not entirely sure I can justify the c 40,000 dollar to 70,000
> dollar price tag that was quoted for the Cambridge system presently.

Well, in my case those figures represent 3 to 5.5 times my total net
annual income currently...and 1.3 to 2.2 times my prediction of my
net income by the end of 2008...so I shall have to survive CEDAR-less...!

However, given our limited comprehension/understanding of which
irregularities in a displayed signal waveform represent "signal" and
which "noise"...I suspect it won't be anytime soon that we can
create a digital application which can entirely remove the latter
without affecting the former! This is interesting, because our minds
can effectively separate the two and ignore the "noise" component...!

Perhaps what we need is a research team which can work on one single
digital file taken from an average-condition 78, and simply try
different ways of redrawing the waveform and auditioning the result
until we can establish exactly what needs to be done to extract
the "music" portion of the signal. Once we have identified that, we
can then establish how best to restore the information which was
made unavailable by the sonic limitations inherent in various
old recording practices...?!

In other words, can we take a 19th century acoustic recording, and
infer from that what a stereo, full-fidelity recording of that sonic
event would sound like...?!