Re: [ARSCLIST] Lennick's "EFREM"...?--was Mass Digitization

"Steven C. Barr(x)" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  ***Having started this discussion, I should note that my "save it all" comes
with certain "excepts!" For example, there is no reason to save data in
duplicate forms (i.e. an ARC recording which was issued on six to twenty
different labels, all using the exact recording!)

  How much time would be needed to make such a determination? An informed individual might know, but how likely is it that a technician would be so informed? How likely would it be that even a curator of a collection would know? You certainly couldn't expect a cataloger to know, even a music cataloger. They have enough to do just keeping the cataloging rules and the methodology of MARC on their radar.

  We don't have an informed workforce and from my own experience, I see little evidence that we even have an administrative infrastructure in libraries that value such skills. I just don't see how saving it all is possible, even if we had the available technology. We don't even have an educational system which supports the teaching of the appropriate skills. Most of us have learnt these things on our own. It has taken us years to develop and refine what we do.

  When it comes to saving it all, I think the archives of this mailing list is what needs to be saved. It seems to me that the contents is a great guide to what needs to be learnt by those that come after us.

  However, for me, the main reason we "can't" save it all has to do with the lack of importance our society places on saving it all.

  Karl