To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2007 3:43 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Mass Digitization / Easing yourself into the thought...

To help ease some of you into the thought process of Mass Digitization, I offer this an alternative to the fully robotic, super system, which seems to scare the life out of some on the list. It may seem either brilliant or old hat, but it's something I had toyed with years ago when I was actually doing hands on work transferring.

(4) 1/4" machines feeding a single 8 channel converter. Each deck plays
and is recorded simultaneously, as a engineer monitors them all
intermittently (post) converters, via a switching matrix. Visual
metering, as well as on screen waveforms, of all channels simultaneously
keeps the engineer aware of major problems like channel drop outs,
clipping.

After the transfer is complete, a batch process through a Quadriga
machine generates a very detailed report in regards to phase issues,
clipping, and drop outs on a sample by sample basis (much better than
any human could analyze).

This system allow 4 times the work to be completed in an alotted
timeframe. Where slow speed or bi-directional tapes are concerned, you
could be saving LOTS of time or doing lots more transfers.

Q: Is this the same as 1 pair of ears completely dedicated to 2 channels
of audio? Nope, but when transferring lectures, spoken word, or other
oral history stuff, is it vital to monitor the entire program unless
your collecting metadata on the actual content?

Q: Does the loss of monitoring a program completely justify the offset
of increased speed and cost saving? I'd say usually (but of course not
always). Rememeber files could be auditioned in a non-linear way once
they are transferred.

Obviously, damaged tape would need to be handled differently, but you'd
be surprised how much time you'd have for that work, if well maintained
tapes were getting done is a 1/4 of the time.

Switch out the (4) 1/4" decks for DAT/Cass/etc. for added fun.

Don Andes
Director of Archives
EMI Music

Music from EMI

This e-mail including any attachments is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received it in error please advise the sender immediately by return email and then delete it from your system. The unauthorised use, distribution, copying or alteration of this email is strictly forbidden. If you need assistance please contact us on +44 20 7795 7000.

This email is from a unit or subsidiary of EMI Group plc.

Registered Office: 27 Wrights Lane, London W8 5SW

Registered in England No 229231.