Re: [ARSCLIST] Mass Digitization / Easing yourself into the thought...

At 03:43 PM 2007-05-18, Andes, Donald wrote:

(4) 1/4" machines feeding a single 8 channel converter. Each deck plays
and is recorded simultaneously, as a engineer monitors them all
intermittently (post) converters, via a switching matrix. Visual
metering, as well as on screen waveforms, of all channels simultaneously
keeps the engineer aware of major problems like channel drop outs,
clipping.

I have four Sony APR-5000 machines (but don't have four of each of the common head blocks--I do have more than four NAB two-track). I also have four Nakamichi Dragons. Three of the four APRs live in the studio full-time, the fourth can be brought in and will shortly have a dedicated docking station (that can also be an A810). In addition, there are two A80s.

HOWEVER, I monitor the four programs simultaneously, one out of each corner of the 5.1 surround system (I don't use the centre speaker). I can solo any individual program in stereo or go back to the mix of all four in mono. This lets me immediately hear a problem or something questionable.

Q: Is this the same as 1 pair of ears completely dedicated to 2 channels
of audio? Nope, but when transferring lectures, spoken word, or other
oral history stuff, is it vital to monitor the entire program unless
your collecting metadata on the actual content?

No, but a second pair of ears is always good on these transfers and in my business model, the client gets a check disc of the raw transfer prior to any mastering work that I do. I also spot check files when I do this.

For a current project that has both reels and cassettes (not sure the path of some of them), I'm intending to do the matched cassette/reel transfers simultaneously, for 8 machines rolling together.

Q: Does the loss of monitoring a program completely justify the offset
of increased speed and cost saving? I'd say usually (but of course not
always). Rememeber files could be auditioned in a non-linear way once
they are transferred.

I think this is one of the only ways things will get done.

Cheers,

Richard

Switch out the (4) 1/4" decks for DAT/Cass/etc. for added fun.

Different topology needed when you go to digi due to clocking, etc., but conceptually, yes.

Cheers,

Richard