Re: [ARSCLIST] Gowers considered recommending shorter copyright term

----- Original Message -----
From: "D P Ingram" <darren@xxxxxxxxx>
> On 3 maj 2007, at 04.43, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
> > First...most "common market" countries have standardized the copyright
> > term on sound recordings at 50 years (although I've never done a
> > country-
> > by-country survey...). Needless to say, RIAA is NOT happy with this
> > and
> > are doing everything they can to change it.
> When I took some advice a while back it seemed that England was more
> in the miniority but it is a pain when even theso called industry
> regulators don't get off their backsides and reply to inquiries. But
> they scream about piracy and the like.  Some seem too busy chasing
> after taxi drivers playing "music entertainment" to their customers!

In fact, there was a movement in the UK to change the term from 50
to 95 years...which was rejected...! I would suppose that facts about
copyright terms could be found on the Internet (although quite possibly
in the native tongue of the country...?)...

> > Second...technically, I'm not supposed to sell my reissue CD(-R)'s in
> > the US...although, as I understand it, it is the purchaser(s) who are
> You won't be rushing to ITUNES MUSIC STORE then and its equivalents
> as a venue to sell your wares :)

Somehow, I can't see major sales via such facilities for a CD like "The
Greatest Hits Of the Peerless Quartette -- Vol. 1 (The Early Years)"
:-)