[ARSCLIST] A stinky puzzle

Folks,

Last week I opened up a plastic shopping bag that contained to things: a slide carousel filled with 35mm slides and a reel of tape. The pair form a slide-tape show on the topic of, apparently, maple sugaring.

The first thing to greet me was the pronounced stink of vinegar. Very pronounced.

I assumed the tape was the culprit and put it aside to reek on its own. However, upon holding it up to light later, I did not encounter the usual acetate translucence--the pack was totally opaque.

This got me thinking about the slides again. Did Kodak (or anyone for that matter, since the slides in the carousel seem to be a slightly mixed bag) produce acetate slide film? Could the slides be going vinegary?

And about the tape--it's a 7" reel of 1/4" tape. Poorly packed. the backing of the tape has "Eastman Kodak Co" printed on it. It's in a black plastic Sctoch 211 box (the kind with the smoked plastic drop front) and on a blue plastic Scotch reel. It is my guess that the recording dates from the mid 1960s--this is going on information from the donor (whose father made the recording).

This whole thing confuses me a bit because it undermines two basics of what I've been taught on the matter::

1. Only acetate will develop vinegar syndrome
2. Acetate tape will appear translucent when held up to light.

I am forced to consider that it could be a polyester tape with a vinegar problem /or/ an acetate tape that is opaque when held up to light.

If the slides are going vinegary, could the vinegar problem have an impact on polyester-backed tape? Did Kodak make a non-translucent acetate backing?

In any event, after separating the tape from the slides, the slides still stink, but not nearly as bad, while the tape (which admittedly is somewhat sealed in it's case) stinks as bad as ever.

Any thoughts?

Andy

--

Andy Kolovos