Re: [ARSCLIST] Crosley Radio

Craig-

Thank you for taking the time to write the review. They look rather nice online, but I was afraid they'd be little more than decoration. I'll need something that will hold up, and not destroy my records. I suppose I'll keep looking, but thanks again for your help!

-Ryan

From: Craig Breaden <breaden@xxxxxxx>
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Crosley Radio
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 08:29:03 -0400

Ryan,

Last year I bought a Crosley radio/record player for my little corner of our
house. Everything about these units is cheap and flimsy, BUT:

- It allows me to play, on the cheap, my already scratchy records I bought
as a teenager in the pre-CD late 70s and early 80s, without all the hoopla
and care I have to give to the recordings I work with as a professional (as
fun as my profession can be, when I go home best practices stay, mostly, at
the workplace).
- It reminds me of a time when I put on a record and sat back and listened
to it on my all-in-one Kmart special.  Side A, then Side B.  Sometimes I
would get adventurous and listen to Side B first, and sometimes I
unwittingly thought Side B was Side A (not until the CD reissue did I
realize AC/DC's Back in Black started with "Hells Bells").  I like this
because, as much as I appreciate the convenience of the downloaded iTune,
there is absolutely nothing joyous about it for me (and something curiously
depressing).

Plus there's a fun lighted radio dial that my 1 1/2-year-old likes to play
with. The radio sounds nice, by the way, and the thing will play 78s, but I
probably wouldn't even let it cast light on a 78 -- damage by suggestive
association.

If you want an easy way to listen to your old LPs and 45s that were better
listened to than fetishized, it's fun. If it's going to be your only way to
play records, though, I'd probably hold off and shell out for a real rig.

Craig

Craig Breaden
Media Assets Archivist
Richard B. Russell Library for Political Research and Studies
Main Library
The University of Georgia
Athens, GA  30602-1641
706-542-5782 (phone)