Re: [ARSCLIST] flac vs. apple lossless

on 4/5/07 4:17 PM US/Central, Tom Fine at tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> WinZip software is cheap and the $30 version opens TAR archives also. ZIP is a
> pretty well established format, with many programs including the Windows OS
> itself can open them. I believe a Zip-specific program is needed to make ZIP
> archives, but perhaps this isn't so in the non-Windows world. That funky
> zip-like format in the Apple world can be opened by a free Windows utility.
> I'm sure Apple has either included or built-in utilities to deal with all
> compressed-archive formats since the vast majority of desktops run other OS's.

General purpose schemes like ZIP don't perform well compared to audio
specific algorithms like WavPack, FLAC and Monkey's Audio.

See http://presto.joanneum.ac.at/Public/D4_4.pdf for a 2002 report on this,
with performance results on page 6.

Personally, I wouldn't use any lossless (or lossy) compression for
preserving audio. Maybe in the future, but not yet. It's ok for transmission
over the internet with checksums for checking file integrity, but not for
long term preservation.

--
Parker Dinkins
MasterDigital Corporation