Re: [ARSCLIST] original audio containers

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx>
> I would agree with Steven here.Pre-1930 Columbia sleeves are ridiculously hard
to find,and are far more prone to falling apart than Brunswick and Victor of the
same period.

> There are a lot more smaller labels of the acoustic era,that I am not sure
were issued in label/stock sleeves.Some I know are out there(?),but have never
seen."It's a Winner" anyone?

> US record store sleeves of the 78 era are also quite rare too.

First, my experience has been that older Columbia sleeves aren't that
hard to find...but, once found, are usually disintegrating! They used
a heavier, green-tinged stock...which seems to dissolve itself over
ensuing years.

Second, many...if not MOST...of the "indie" labels of the twenties
probably never had their own sleeves printed.

Third, the practice of record stores having their own "replacement"
sleeves created for the records they sold seems to have first originated
post-WWII. Occasionaly, one can find a label-specific sleeve with the
dealer's name stamped thereupon; however, what seems to be more common
are dealer-imprinted "carry bags" in which the customer took his new
records home. Some of these seem to have been provided by labels, for
their dealers.

Finally, the one thing we DON'T know is exactly how records were sold
in the twenties and previous! I have flyers from the late thirties,
made for a record dealer, which announce and list the latest releases
from a large variety (insofar as such existed at that point) of labels...
but, were there any "record stores" that carried a large number of
labels and let the customer choose whose version he/she/it wanted?

If not, who sold the variety of small "indie" labels that appeared
between 1919 and c.1926?! (store-specific labels excluded, of course...)