Re: [ARSCLIST] original audio containers

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rene' Payne" <renepayne@xxxxxxxxx>
> Boy have I got an esoteric topic for you.  I am looking for any information
> relating to the practice and storage of original audio containers.
> Currently, some archives rehouse audio recordings in new acid free
> containers and store the original package elsewhere for various reasons.   I
> would like to hear from ya'll (this is what happens when you move to Texas)
> how and why this is done.  Does anyone know when this practice started?
>
> Also, can anyone give me information regarding original containers
> themselves i.e. composition and styling of disc sleeves,album covers,
> cassette tape holders, jewel cases, cylinder boxes, etc.

In my field of collecting/archival (78rpm records)...the "original audio
containers" not only add to the interest of the items when/if they still
exist...they may also contain valuable discographic information on other
contemporary records promoted on the sleeves, or about the firms that
manufactured them.

Sadly, in many cases, the sleeves have not (or DID not) survive well the
passage of time. Earlier Columbia sleeves seem to be particularly prone
to literal disintegration!

And there was only a very short period where 78's and the concept of
"picture sleeves" co-existed.