Re: [ARSCLIST] at this rate, won't be much to archive soon enough

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Olhsson" <olh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >From Tom Fine: "I don't think "piracy" is the whole story by a long shot. I
> think putting out utter crap and badly
> marketing that tends to kill a business."
>
> Unfortunately few people look at the root causes which are the collapse of
> the majority of our local live venues and Madison Avenue having taken
> iron-fisted control over most broadcasting and large venues. You can't blame
> record labels for not investing in artists who they can't possibly get
> exposed no matter how much they spend.
>
> I fear it's music and not just the recording industry that's in big trouble.

Remember that "utter crap" is one person's (or one demographic's) opinion!
Back in the fifties, when I was a teen-ager, there were many adults who
predicted that the rise of rock'n'roll doomed any "decent, respectable
music"...and I have read Etude articles making the same prediction
about jazz (but also stressing the racial issue...!).

The changes that are taking place are societal, not musical...and they
AREN'T problems that can/will be easily dealt with!