Re: [ARSCLIST] Winston Churchill Set

An article by Barry Fox in Studio Sound, Oct, 1991, deals with this issue. The actor's name is Norman Shelley. The software used to support Shelley's clain to having made the records is Speechstation, sold in the US by Ariel Corp. Given the volatility of corporate survival, it is probably still available, improved and under a different name. Maybe not.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Cox" <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 25, 2007 12:09 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Winston Churchill Set

On 23/02/07, Martin Fisher wrote:

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to locate information on a set of Winston Churchill's
wartime speeches that was issued in the U.K. on the plain black Argo
or Decca label in a 10 to 12 disc box set. It only covered the WWII
era as I remember and was in great sound with no added effects. The
main library in Nashville had a set once but I think they purged
themselves of all the vinyl in the 90s and this went also. I'd like
the correct title of the set and the issue information.

There is also a 12 disc set on London titled "Winston Churchill - His
Memoirs & Speeches 1918-1945" that turns up on e-bola from time to
time. I have an LP single that might have been derived from this set
which has actual contemporary speech exerpts interspersed with what
sounds like later re-recordings of some speeches with added music.
There is also a slight bit of echo added. If this is indicative of the
complete 12 disc set then I'd pass on it. Can anyone confirm that this
is indeed the case? Winston's picture appears on the top half of the
labels on both the 12 disc set and the single LP.

I think some of these recordings were read by an actor, not by Churchill
himself.

http://www.powell-pressburger.org/Reviews/Shelley/Shelley01.html

I recall some articles about this in The Gramophone some years ago. If I
come across them I'll post a reference.

Regards
--
Don Cox