Re: [ARSCLIST] MP3 patent dispute

Steven C. Barr writes:
>...who is suing whom...and why...?!

Dell and Gateway were sued for selling products that infringe Bell Labs patents. Microsoft signed on as a co-defendant because they had supplied the infringing code.

MP3 defines a standard decoder however there is no standard encoder. I doubt that there are even any "open source" encoders that don't also infringe many patents. As I said, this lawsuit is only the tip of an iceberg as companies move from fleecing investors with IPOs to actually trying to earn a living from their day to day operations.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051    http://www.hyperback.com