Re: [ARSCLIST] MP3 patent dispute

Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:

Anybody know when mp3 was created...and by whom? Runs in my mind
it was the same group that came up with "MPEG" condensed image
files...?!

As I posted before, MPn and MPEGn are products of the Motion Picture Experts Group, with MPn being the nth Level of audio for video formats.

There are so many audio and video formats floating around that even enumerating them is likely to fail - invention seems to come faster than documentation. One problem is that where the WAV envelope is now rarely used for anything but PCM, AVI (Audio Video Interleaved) can and does contain a wide variety of formats defined by their codecs. Neither WAV nor AVI is "defined", by the way; WAV is understood to mean uncompressed PCM, but in the past has contained MPn files (and others) and the option is still present.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/