Re: [ARSCLIST] [LA]Re: [ARSCLIST] Using desiccant with audio recordings

Barbara:

Polyester-base audio tape, all video tape and optical discs can benefit from
being stored with desiccant if the temporary storage environment is likely
to experience high humidity.  These materials include moisture only as a
"contaminant" and do very well in extremely low humidity.

Acetate-base audio tape and film should NOT, as a general rule, be sealed
with a desiccant as some moisture is necessary for their "well being".

To tell acetate-base audio from polyester, simply hold the tape up with some
sort of light behind it.  If you can see light through the side of the pack,
the base is acetate.  If you can't see light, the tape base is polyester.
(note: be very careful doing this with pancakes- for obvious reasons.)

Peter Brothers
SPECS BROS., LLC
973-777-5055
peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tape restoration and disaster recovery since 1983