Re: [ARSCLIST] [LA]Re: [ARSCLIST] Using desiccant with audio recordings

Mike Richter wrote:
Language Archives wrote:
I have to pack up my archive for storage in the University library while construction happens around my space. I was asked about the need to put (advisability of putting) desiccant in with the recordings. I don't know for certain how long they will be in boxes--we may unpack them for access on the other end, and while they think construction will end in August, who knows!

I suspect that it will be important to know two things: what sort of material (cylinders, 78s, lacquers, LPs, ??); what sort of storage environment.
Cylinders, lacquers, LPs, uncoated aluminum, wire, open reel (10-inch pancakes--I have been reading that thread with interest!--7-inch and 5-inch reels), cassettes, CDs, DVDs (also some video: film, VHS and Beta, DV). I'm sure I missed something. These will be packed in boxes with like materials.

As to the storage environment, I haven't seen it(!). If you have any suggestions about questions to ask, that would be helpful.

Barbara