Re: [ARSCLIST] Jewel Sleeve (was The STiL Case

At 09:51 AM 2007-02-08, Elliott Hancock wrote:
The Jewel Sleeve mentioned in the link
below looks interesting for those of us who have thousands of CDs to
store.  It was recommended by someone who uses it for their radio
archive.   The Folk Center Archivist is concerned about whether the
material is acid free and safe for long term storage.   Anyone know
about or use this product.

http://www.jewelsleeve.com/cgi-bin/mivavm?../mm5/merchant.mvc

Hello, Elliott,

I have no hands-on experience with these, but their description says they are made of vinyl which is scary AND it appears that the vinyl touches both surfaces of the CD (both surfaces need to be protected). The standard jewel case and the STiL cases support the disc by the centre hub and do not permit anything to touch the surfaces of the disc (barring a shipment I once had where I'd swear that the CD in jewel case shared the shipping vehicle with a bunch of anvils over a dirt road).

Cheers,

Richard