[ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] Rosemary Brown

  I hope it's not too late to respond to BH's message about "Darlene Edwards"
(Jo Stafford) being "very good!" I have a funny story about that.

  My late friend Fred Heft was a clerk at Discount Records in Chicago around
1961. Occasionally an offensive customer would attach himself to Fred and give
him no peace. It drove Fred nuts, but of course as an employee he couldn't
tell him or her to get lost. He found a ideal solution.

  Those were the days when LPs weren't factory sealed. Discount had a
turntable and sound system; any LP could be played. At such times, when he assumed
the customer wouldn't know their recordings, Fred would put on a Jonathon and
Darlene Edwards record and make a show of enjoying her subtly excruciating
singing. Mr. Obnoxious would say "did you hear that? She was off-pitch! She's
terrible!" To which Fred would reply sweetly "oh no, I think she's the best! She's
my favorite singer."

  With which Mr. O. would go away, convinced that Fred was a musical idiot he
wanted no more to do with.

  Don Tait
That's NOT Jo Stafford. It's Darlene Edwards. And she is very good !
(Jo, that is.)
BH

>>> Mark4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 1/30/2007 9:52 AM >>>
And of course there were the "famous" Jo Stafford off-key recordings.
Someone once said you had to be very good to be that 'bad'.

Mark Durenberger