[ARSCLIST] Cleaning aluminum disks

I have an (uncoated? i.e., silver colored) aluminum disk from Special Collections on campus which I have been asked to digitize. It needs cleaning: the surface is dull and fingerprints can be seen (I wondered if someone took some cleaner and wiped it!). What you recommend I use?

Also, we are having problems playing it. The needle slips over several grooves. Another disk recorded at the same time (sides 1 & 3, as opposed to 2 & 4!) played fine. Will cleaning solve this? Or should I do something else. We are using a Dual turntable with an osmium stylus. I have seen discussion of weighting the tone-arm, but I want to be sure I won't wreck it!

Barbara

Barbara Need
Manager