Re: [ARSCLIST] Cleaning aluminum disks

You may need to examine it under a loop to see what is lodged in the groove where it jumps

careful removal with a fine sewing needle may be possible

cleaning - one of the problems with these is that they were played with fibre needles, which sometimes left organic residue. Don't know what to do about that.

Otherwise I'd start with the Doctor's Miracle solution, although I can't say it as designed for aluminum. Conventional cleaners will remove fingerprints, but I can't say what residue they may leave. Mild soap may be a solution. You probably aren't going to damage an uncoated disc this way

js

Language Archives wrote:
I have an (uncoated? i.e., silver colored) aluminum disk from Special Collections on campus which I have been asked to digitize. It needs cleaning: the surface is dull and fingerprints can be seen (I wondered if someone took some cleaner and wiped it!). What you recommend I use?

Also, we are having problems playing it. The needle slips over several grooves. Another disk recorded at the same time (sides 1 & 3, as opposed to 2 & 4!) played fine. Will cleaning solve this? Or should I do something else. We are using a Dual turntable with an osmium stylus. I have seen discussion of weighting the tone-arm, but I want to be sure I won't wreck it!

Barbara

Barbara Need
Manager

http://www.eset.com