Re: [ARSCLIST] reel choices was help in fair pricing of reel to reel machines

Yes, since we mostly use what machines in working order we can get at a
surplus rate from UW -Madison and WHA radio, I use a Technics 1500 and
ATR 700 and 800 machines almost daily. Better machines have been
surplused, but they usually have been basket cases or were way over
priced. The Technics 1500 was actually purchased new in the late 1980's
by our department. At that time the Madison based Smart Studios, (of
Butch Vig / Garbage / Nirvana / Killdozer fame), was using the same type
of machine as their main 1/4" mastering machine.

Robert Wasserman
Robert.Wasserman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sound Archives Proj. Asst./Lead Tech.
Wisconsin Historical Society
608-264-6473

Hi Marcos:

The Technics machine has 2-track and quarter-track play heads, too. So
does the Ampex/Tascam
ATR-700, but I wouldn't recommend that machine unless you got one not
beaten to death at a radio
station and the price was really cheap.

Here's the main problem with Otari's, Ampex ATR-700's and many Tascam
machines -- they've been
ridden hard and put away wet way too many times at radio stations or TV
stations or not-top-tier
video production places colleges or other places not staffed by skilled
maintenance personnel. So
they're beat to death by the time they get released on the market. None
are all that easy to restore
or work on. And none sound all that great.

The Technics machines I've seen on ebay go for good money because there
seems to be a cult
appreciation of them (and why not -- they're great machines), but they
seem to come out of places
where they were used less and treated better. John French has done great
restoration work on
headblocks for me, and I recommend you make sure to ask that he spray
and clean the somewhat cheapo
2T/QT head switch.

By the way, the big problem with any machine that feeds 2T and QT heads
through the same electronics
(ie any machine with 2 play heads and a switch) is that you need to
optimize playback for one or the
other. Now, if both heads are really nicely buffed and aligned, it'll be
close enough for most
playbacks, but it won't be perfect unless you tweak for each head when
you switch. I have a
quarter-track play head on one of my Ampex AG-440B's and it has its own
cables going to AG-445 type
playback electronics, which are adjusted for that head alone. Meanwhile,
the main play/record
electronics are optimized for 2T.

-- Tom Fine