Re: [ARSCLIST] Soundcard/iTunes phollies

On 1/19/07, Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

. Now that I have a new generation iPod, I might stop ripping into my
pod library
as MP3 (192CBR) and switch to Apple Lossless Format or WAV. I haven't decided that yet.

-- Tom Fine

Hi Tom-I also have a new generation ipod, which, for a variety of
reasons, I haven't used much yet.  Following your advice of several
months ago, I only use Apple Lossless for adding cd's to my hard
drive.  As I mentioned those several months ago, I put a cd into
iTunes at 192 and also using Apple Lossless.  I burned cd's from
iTunes of the 192 and the Lossless.  I have a dvd player and a cd
player hooked up to my home system, which is a medium priced consumer
quality Sansui receiver into my old AR 2AX's.  I am able to set up 2
cd's to pretty much exactly the same play back point, and can then a-b
fairly effectively.  Unfortunately I could not detect a difference
among the 3 cd's.  Also, I had several disinterested parties(my sons)
listen and they also couldn't differentiate.  I intend on trying a few
more types of music, using a couple of locations and getting more
interested listeners.  Two points I would make: 1. while to some
listeners there is likely a noticeable difference among store bought
cd/192mps/Apple Lossless, it is probably, for most of us, a subtle
difference.  2. At the 80 gig storage level afforded by today's iPod,
even using Apple Lossless, that is a lot of music; why not go the
lossless route?  I find that I listen to iTunes more than the iPod.  I
have also downloaded the EAC and am close to playing with it using the
new CardDeluxe.  Best Regards, and thanks so much for your practical
information.
--
Frank B Strauss, DMD