Re: [ARSCLIST] Soundcard/iTunes phollies

Hi Tom,

I stayed with WAVs because I figured that since HDs were inexpensive enough
I would insure against the need to transcode in the future if any given
lossless codec stopped being supported (I think that FLAC or others "only"
reduce to roughly 1/2 the size of a WAV anyway).  I did try ripping and
compressing using EAC, just for kicks, and it seemed to work OK.  For the
WAVs I had to figure out a filenaming system that preserved the track
information, since WAVs don't have tags (as far as I know), and my library
software made it easy to parse the names to make "tags" for its use.  If I
was encoding, I might rip first and then just let my library software (I use
J River Media Center, it's also pretty versatile) batch encode, since I
think doing it at the ripping stage would create a logjam.

The server approach has really improved my access to and use of the music I
have, but it really did make me think more about what kind of support will
remain for all of the various formats as time goes on (let alone if I'll be
able to view my JPGs, RAW Files, read my PDFs and DOCs...).

Peter Rothstein