Re: [ARSCLIST] Soundcard/iTunes phollies

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Rothstein [mailto:pdrothstein@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2007 2:16 PM
To: 'Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List'
Subject: RE: [ARSCLIST] Soundcard/iTunes phollies

Hi,

I'm just a usual lurker, and enjoy the varied discussions on this list, but
thought that I might chime in about ripping/encoding.  I've been using EAC
(Exact Audio Copy) for several years since I decided to convert my CD
collection into a PC-based audio server (I had been using many Sony changers
and a Slink-e for PC control of the changers).  I've ripped a few thousand
CDs using EAC, and it is a great stand-alone extraction program that works
with numerous encoders and is quite versatile.  It also gets around having
to use a potentially buggy/intrusive media library app.  Many of you
probably have already used it/heard of it, but for those who haven't, here's
the Hydrogen Audio link for it:

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Exact_Audio_Copy

I've had it running concurrently on 3 PCs (some as "basic" as a PII) with
two optical drives each all ripping and writing to the server with nary a
hiccup.  It also has worked pretty well with some of my mid '80s CDs with
Swiss cheese disease (unless the metallic layer is too far gone, but there
have been only one or two that bad).

Good luck!

Peter Rothstein
Huntingdon, PA