Re: [ARSCLIST] Soundcard/iTunes phollies

on 1/19/07 12:21 PM, Dave Nolan at davenolanaudio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> And FWIW, the suggestion (from Jeffrey Kane)of visiting the
> http://www.HydrogenAudio.org forums was great!  Now I can forsee several
> late nights in a row up at the computer reading through the many many
> discussion threads of different codecs and how they play nicely with
> different software packages...

Dave,

If you don't mind locking into iTunes then AAC is the way to go, subjective
quality is much better than mp3. Personally I find the difference between
Fraunhofer and LAME mp3 codecs to be minimal at best, especially at low
bitrates where the encoding artifacts swamp any perception of difference. At
IU I've chosen to go with 160 kbs AAC for our podcasts. To my ears the
quality is excellent, at the cost of slightly longer download time. But so
far no one has complained. Take a look if you're interested

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=203959997

For the record, the video segments have 128 kbs AAC audio and 760 kbs H.264
video. The audio only segments have bit rates varying from 112kbs (Four
Seasons) to 160kbs (Haydn 95) all AAC. We also have 128 kbs mp3s available
for non iTunes users.

http://www.music.indiana.edu/iumusiclive/authorize/mp3.shtml

Audio was encoded with iTunes, video with Compressor. FYI, video files are
very large so download times will be long if you don't have a fast
connection.

--
Konrad Strauss
Director of Recording Arts