Re: [ARSCLIST] Soundcard/iTunes phollies

For what it's worth.  About 4-5 years ago, I produced sample files with
multiple VBR and CBR bit rates using Fraunhoffer, LAME - and I believe mp3
PRO on my AudioCube - a system used in high-end restoration and mastering
facilities.  I used two sample files, some good sounding acoustic Jazz and a
good sounding Steely Dan track.  I named them all something generic and sent
them off to a bunch of my musician / recording engineer buddies.

Then I called them up to get comments.  I can't recall the exact results,
but I can tell you that the LAME VBR {highest) won this pretty
convincingly...

To a smaller group of people I sent 16 bit waves along with the VBR highest.
I was surprised at how few people could here the difference.  Keep in mind
that most of these guys have nice set-ups, and two of them had home
recording studios.  They were not listening through ear buds on a portable
mp3 player.

Personal experience:  My VBR "highest" mp3's *sounded way better* through my
Sony VAIO lap-top (which drives my living room stereo) than the same CD
playing through either my Pioneer CD Jukebox, my Sony CD Player, or my
Technics DVD/CD player (which I bought for 1500 US).  Not even CLOSE.

Apparently, Sony puts nice converters in their laptops and absolute *crap*
in their home stereo components.  Go figure...

Finally, I have some pretty nice 24/96 mastering converters in my studio -
and a "reasonable" high quality monitoring environment.  The only card I
have with MME drivers was the RME Digi 96/8 Pro and I ran that AES to my
D/A.  I can't tell the difference between the mp3 and the source wave file
through that system.

Cheers!

Rob

PS:  Anything lower than 192 CBR is not worth recording... IMHO!  A
reasonable compromise between VBR highest and CBR is 256.