Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCBOARD] Posting on ARSC List re: ARSC AWards for Excellence

Then there's the question of the submission of discographies, research,
etc., that appear on CD-ROM, such as Lord's "Jazz Discography." His work
is certainly worth a plug somewhere.
I know Doug Pomeroy brought this up in the past but I don't remember if
there was a definitive answer.
Mal Rockwell

*******

Tim Brooks wrote:

Thanks for forwarding this thread, Steve. (I'm behind in my reading!)

There is certainly worthwhile research on the Web that could be recognized, but I think we have to be careful here. Having been on the Awards Committee for many years I know how overwhelmed it can get with all the books, liner notes and articles, and any approach to the web might require a new committee. Also, the impermanence of web based "publishing" is a huge issue. A wikipedia article can be different every time you look at it. Or gone entirely (unless somebody printed it out--on paper!--or saved it). Time for the wayback machine.

That said the web is becoming critical to the flow of research, so I think it's worth investigating how this might be done. It's just not simple. We did discuss it as far back as the 1990s, when I was on the Awards Committee. Maybe now's the time.

Tim Brooks