Re: [ARSCLIST] Strips of plastic play audio when you run your teeth over them

In a message dated 1/7/2007 9:10:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
m-biel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

My  original posting was going to say that they do not work well if you
draw them over your teeth.  As the page discusses, you should  draw
your fingernail over the recording ridges to set the tape  vibrating,
and then you amplify the vibrations by attaching the end  to a balloon,
card, box, or hold the end with your  teeth.

*****************

I remember greeting cards with similar strips attached, saying "Happy
Birthday"  or "Merry Christmas" long before today's electronic  versions.

Bone conduction of sound is quite effective. Something to try when you have
nothing better to do is to get a 10" Bamboo Skewer such as the EKCO brand from
 Walmart.

Hold it in firmly your teeth and place the pointed end into the groove  of a
spinning 78. The fidelity is quite remarkable, especially with acoustical
recordings.

This would be a great demonstration for children if you have some that  could
be trusted not to turn the exercise into a sword fight.

Mike Csontos