Re: [ARSCLIST] Setting a value on tape collections

Alec,

For the sake of customs I'd say you're best just valuing the physical media at their replacement cost, or at a depreciated cost based on their age.

If for some reason-say insurance--you need to value the content, the standard approach we've been using in the field of folklore (as transmitted to me via Michael Taft, who I believe learned it from Sandy Ives) is to estimate how much it would cost to have a comparable researcher do the same sort of fieldwork today. While this doesn't place a value on the actual audio content, it does allow you to estimate the value of the time that went into creating the recordings in today's dollars, which is pretty much the best one can do.

Andy

Alec McLane wrote:
I'm looking for advice on declaring a value for a collection of recordings that is being shipped from overseas. The tape reels are Scotch 208, 1/4 X 1200, 1.5 mil., probably less than 30 years old, and they contain unique field recordings of music. There are about 40 reels in all. Does anyone have any experience in estimating a value, just for the purpose of satisfying U.S. customs? Is it just the value of the tapes themselves? I can't imagine putting a replacement value on the music, obviously.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Alec McLane

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Alec McLane Scores & Recordings/ World Music Archives Phone: (860) 685-3899 Olin Library Fax: (860) 685-2661 Wesleyan University mailto:amclane@xxxxxxxxxxxx Middletown, CT 06459 http://www.wesleyan.edu/libr/srhome/srdir.htm

--

Andy Kolovos
Archivist/Folklorist