Re: [ARSCLIST] Interesting WSJ Article on when libraries should discard their holdings.

Don Cox <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    On 04/12/06, Kiwi O'Connell wrote:
> I would like to put a different slant on this, being a sound
> archivist. I have worked on hundreds of oral histories, many of which
> have a transcription which accompanies them. In my experience, I have
> found that many of the transcriptions do not reflect the intention of
> the spoken word. The transcriber has put a whole new meaning to what
> was meant by the 'talent'.

This has implications for the Quran, the Gospels, and other books
containing records of what some important person is supposed to have
said.

  Indeed it does. For me, that is one of the great benefits of being able to save the sound of the speaking voice. I am reminded of the story I recall having heard from someone who met an individual who had heard Lincoln's address...the emphasis was not "Of the people, By the people..."etc. but  "by of the People, for the People..." etc. Inflection can indeed change shades of meaning.

  The audio recording contains unique information.

  Karl