Re: [ARSCLIST] Interesting WSJ Article on when libraries should discard their holdings.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Miller" <karl.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>   Indeed it does. For me, that is one of the great benefits of being able to
save the sound of the speaking voice. I am reminded of the story I recall having
heard from someone who met an individual who had heard Lincoln's address...the
emphasis was not "Of the people, By the people..."etc. but  "by of the People,
for the People..." etc. Inflection can indeed change shades of meaning.

>   The audio recording contains unique information.

And this, in fact, it the one great weakness of e-mail as a communications
medium! It transmits only the WORDS that make up the message...with minimal
guidance as to inflections, subtle meanings, usw...