Re: [ARSCLIST] Strips of plastic play audio when you run your teeth over them

George Brock-Nannestad
> Jon Noring wrote:

>> Related question:
>>
>> Did anyone in the distant past work on a "tape" or "wire" system based
>> on groove or shape for mechanical playback (not magnetic)?

> ----- yes, the German Tefifon was a cartridge with an endless strip of
> plastic (I think acetate again) with lateral grooves embossed from a master
> nickel strip, played back with a sapphire stylus totally integrated in the
> replay system. It was somewhat bulky ca. 1939, but the postwar development
> was for a smaller cartridge. I think they featured compilations and complete
> operattas, and certainly had a long duration. It was a reproduction format
> only.

Learn something new every day.

This idea is one I had back in the 70s. as an answer to the varying
fidelity of disc records from outer to inner track. This mechanical
"tape" idea would give constant velocity playback like a cylinder,
but could be stored in a more compact form, like in a reel.

Interesting to ponder, including variations of the general theme.

Jon Noring