Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio compression on radio, was Re: [ARSCLIST] Libraries disposing of records

Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Phillips" <scottp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
..and the 'reissued' stamp is there. Not to say that old recordings were
always better, there has always been carelessness and incompetence
regardless of era....

That said, stations have always gone for loud within their allowed
bandwidth, and pumping and breathing from an aggressive broadcast
compressor added to a poor reissue is a bad mixture. However, even if
stations were to themselves back away from the 'loudest' mindset, (after
60 years? Get real !!) they would still face legal limitations that
would at best exaggerate today's poorly mixed and mastered recordings.

Well, back in my youth of AM mono car radios, they tinkered with speed
rather than volume...the whole idea was to play records 5% or so fast,
leaving more time for (profitable) commercials...

Steven C. Barr

5%!? Mind you, I encountered a few instances where the single release ran faster than the LP track (pitch, not just a different take or different edit).

dl