Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio compression on radio, was Re: [ARSCLIST] Libraries disposing of records

..and the 'reissued' stamp is there. Not to say that old recordings were
always better, there has always been carelessness and incompetence
regardless of era....

That said, stations have always gone for loud within their allowed
bandwidth, and pumping and breathing from an aggressive broadcast
compressor added to a poor reissue is a bad mixture. However, even if
stations were to themselves back away from the 'loudest' mindset, (after
60 years? Get real !!) they would still face legal limitations that
would at best exaggerate today's poorly mixed and mastered recordings.

While there is plenty of blame to go around, it all comes back to the
center point.... A poor mix and master means every distribution media
suffers, CD, TV, NET, radio. Nothing is going to be better than the
'branch point' of the source of the recording, by nature the CD these
days. No matter what happens in the further distribution of the product,
that is the best it is ever going to be. I myself could settle for lousy
broadcast quality, if it was even possible to obtain at any price the
pure, unsquashed and trashed mix, even as a 'producers cut'. The public
has no options now...