To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2006 1:29 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Multi format DVD/CD/SACD, etc Player

Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:

Well, I was under the impression that the original poster wanted to
know how to play a "burnt" DVD-R (or +R, etc.) which contained a
large number of .mp3 sound files. Since this isn't a commercial
audio/video DVD, it wouldn't start playing the "movie" (or audio
in this case) as soon as inserted...the unit would know the disc
contained data...but presumably not of what sort. However, IF the
unit was a computer digital drive, and IF there existed an association
for files with that extension...would it not use that application
to open and play the .mp3 sound files?

And do stand-alone DVD players (which often advertise "mp3 compatibility")
recognize and play those files once they had realized it wasn't a
regular audio/video DVD disc...?

As I have understood the question throughout this thread (and all its knots), it was whether a unit with the identified broad capabilities was available. My answer was "yes" (except for SACD, about which I have no knowledge) with a specific example.

Standalone players with MP3 capability offer just that, providing through their software capabilities akin to those of a portable player or far more or somewhat less. Similarly, many will show still images in JPEG and sometimes other formats, usually with substantial slide-show capability, again supplied in software within the unit. They may also show video from AVI with or without DivX codec and in at least one case from MPG.

Other capabilities are at the whim of the manufacturer.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/