Re: [ARSCLIST] Recommended software to make an iPod dump its library to iTunes on a second computer

Frank, I'm assuming this was pre-Windows XP? I have found XP to be pretty foolproof at removing stuff through the add/remove programs control panel. Win98 was another, vastly inferior, situation. Believe it or not, I still have one computer in my world running that crapware. The very primative DAW at work, used only to transfer conference and interview cassettes, runs a stripped-to-the-bone version and has never had a second of problem in 8 years. Just to show how old/slow you can go and still have a decent audio recorder, this is a Pentium II -450 box with an Ensoniq (before Soundcrapper ruined them) card. It's running Soundforge 4. Does what it's asked to do just fine. The cassette machine, on its last legs, is a Sanyo that I bought way back in 1979 or so because it got great reviews for its low price point and was one of the cheapest well-reviewed decks to do metal (type IV) tape. Alas, it's dumpster-bound because it has a bad wow, even audible with spoken word.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank Strauss" <fbsdmd@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2006 11:14 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Recommended software to make an iPod dump its library to iTunes on a second computer

On 12/21/06, Steven C. Barr(x) <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank Strauss" <fbsdmd@xxxxxxxxx> > the old Quicktime would absolutely not allow itself to be > removed. I spent about an hour on the phone with a very nice Apple person > in Canada, but his final suggestion was to wipe the hard drive and start > over. A local tech tried and decided he would have to do Registry editing, > and it ended up cheaper in the long run to get a new computer. > Note that Registry editing is NOT nearly as complicated as most folks may think! Windows provides "regedit.exe" (click on "Run" in the start menu and enter "regedit" in the resulting dialog box) which has a "Find" function which can find every occurrence of a word or character group in the Registry. "Find" the name (the offending program) and remove each occurence (usually in "Run" entries or those associated with file extensions).

Tedious, yes...boring, yes...but not complicated (and useful to
know if one gets hit by a virus...)

Steven C. Barr

My problem and the tech's was not really knowing everything that had to be removed from the registry to completely get rid of Quicktime. A source of irritation is the fact that I would even have to do something like this to get rid of the program.

--
Frank B Strauss, DMD